Cocoa Spaghetti Bolognese (Ve)
Chocolate in spaghetti bolognese is a game-changer and something we can all get on board with, right?
This recipe is inclusive of all diets and is your no-meat alternative to a firm family favourite PLUS we’ve added a special ingredient to make it extra delicious. Welcome to Chocolate Spaghetti Bolognese!
Beyond tasting incredible, dark chocolate has fantastic health benefits as it contains powerful compounds that affect your mood. This includes tryptophan an amino acid that assists our body in producing serotonin, the feel-good hormone.
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 1 Hour
Drizzle of olive oil
1 carrot, chopped
1 chopped stick of celery
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
2 thyme sprigs or a sprinkle of dried thyme if not
1 tbsp tomato purée
400ml vegetable stock
125g dried green lentils
1 can of 400g chopped tomatoes
4 squares of Ombar 72% Cacao dark chocolate, we use Ombar because it is vegan and absolutely delicious. Dark chocolate must be used.
2 DR.VEGAN Daily Multi-Vitamin capsules
270g spaghetti or pasta of choice
Garnish with fresh basil leaves, salt and pepper and optional vegan parmesan
Chocolate Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
1. Heat a large casserole dish on the hob, on a medium heat, with a drizzle of olive oil and then add the chopped onion, celery and carrot until the onion is translucent and soft. This should take around 10 minutes and occasionally stir throughout.
2. Add the garlic, thyme and tomato purée and stir up until all the ingredients are mixed. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Then add your vegetable stock, chopped tomatoes and shortly followed by the lentils and mushrooms. Stir.
4. Cover and leave to simmer on a low heat for 20 mins. Check occasionally, if your bolognese starts to stick to the bottom of the pan, lower the temperature slightly and add a small amount of water.
5. Now add your grated pieces of dark Ombar chocolate and stir.
6. Cover and leave for a further 15 mins.
7. Cook your spaghetti or pasta per pack instructions. This should take around 7 mins, drain and serve in a pasta bowl.
8. For extra health benefits, open your 2 DR.VEGAN Daily Multi-Vitamin capsules and pour the contents in, make sure the bolognese is not boiling and is instead gently simmering as you do this, otherwise it will impact the efficacy.
9. Ladle your bolognese to your spaghetti. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and optional vegan parmesan.
10. Enjoy your cocoa spaghetti bolognese!
Discover our range of vegan vitamins and supplements.
Want to hear more from our nutritionists? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: