3 Ingredient Jerk Cauliflower (Ve)
Slightly spicy and totally delicious. This jerk cauliflower is a game changer and a great staple to have. You can make cauliflower steak, pitta fillings or add it to your buddha bowls. Versatile, vegan friendly and packs a punch of flavour.
In our image we have the jerk cauliflower in florets as part of a roasted chickpea and guacamole pitta lunch. However you may also like to cut the cauliflower into thicker slices or steaks and accompany with coconut rice and red kidney beans.
Cauliflower is high in fibre which helps digestion, it also contains B-vitamins which are great for energy. Cauliflower also contains Choline, which is lesser known but vitally important, Choline is required for your healthy lipid and homocysteine metabolism that helps you metabolise carbohydrates, proteins and fats into energy, and transports fats from your liver, helping prevent fat build up. Choline can be difficult to gain in a plant-based diet and a high alcohol intake can increase your risk of Choline deficiency.
Takes 50 mins total but it is very easy to make, in fact it's only 3 ingredients!
- 1 small cauliflower (we advise 8 small florets for 2 people)
- Jerk paste 1-2 tbsp, (depending how much spice you can handle!)
- Juice of 1 large lime
To make the jerk cauliflower
1. Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
2. If you'd like your cauliflower cut into around florets, it's easiest to cut horizontally into 3 steak width pieces and then cut into smaller pieces as desired. Leaving the florets slightly bigger will improve the texture of the cauliflower.
3. Place the cauliflower on a lightly oiled baking tray or a non-stick baking tray.
4. Mix the squeezed lime juice with the jerk paste in a separate bowl.
5. Brush the liquid onto the cauliflower florets, covering all white parts and leave to marinade for 10 mins. You don't need to do anything at this point except leave the cauliflower alone.
6. Put the cauliflower into the oven and roast for 20 mins, give them a shake and then cook for a further 20 mins.
Then it's up to you what you pair your delicious jerk cauliflower with. Coconut rice and red kidney beans is a winner or you may like to create a shawarma... or even a vegan burrito. There is a lot of opportunity for creativity here! Be sure to tag us @drveganco
Want to receive our latest recipes, nutrition content and discounts in your inbox? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: