Beetroot Hummus (Ve)
Pair this vegan friendly beetroot hummus with toast or crackers, or with wraps or veggie dip, you won't be disappointed. If you're not already prepared to make a giant batch of this delicious hummus, wait till you hear the health benefits...
The list of benefits of hummus is truly long. Chickpeas and tahini (a paste made from sesame seeds) are a good source of calcium. Maintaining good calcium level is important for bone health and has also been linked to relief from PMS symptoms. And while hummus checks many of the boxes for PMS relief, be careful to not add too much salt.
Swap out your regular, not-so-healthy dip choice for this bright pink hummus today.
With a prep time of 30 minutes and a cook time of 10 minutes, this recipe will be ready in around 40 minutes.
Serves 10 portions
Chickpeas (460g) drained & cooked
Beetroot (4) peeled & roasted
Tahini (3 tbsp)
Garlic (4 cloves)
Lemon (1 large) zested & juiced
Salt (1 tsp)
Cumin powder (1 tsp)
Olive oil (60 ml or 1/4 cup)
- Preheat your oven to 225 C.
- Wash, peel and slice your beetroot into chunks. Place the beetroot slices onto a parchment lined baking tray. Drizzle over with olive oil and add salt and pepper to taste. 3. Cook until soft for 30 minutes.
- In a food processor add cooked beets, chickpeas, garlic cloves, tahini, lemon zest and lemon juice and blend until smooth.
- Give the ingredients an occasional mix and blend until smooth. Season with salt and cumin.
- Drizzle in the olive oil while the hummus is blending. Taste and adjust for seasoning and add extra olive oil if necessary. If the mixture is too dry, you can try adding small amounts of water.
- Garnish with chopped fresh herbs, lemon zest and other garnishes of your choice. Feel free to experiment with a variety of garnishes!
- You can blend the hummus for longer for a creamier consistency or possibly add more tahini.
- You can store the hummus in the fridge up to a week. If it seems too dry, add small amounts of water or olive oil.
If you enjoyed this recipe, we recommend: The Best Vegan Pizza
Want to hear more from our nutritionists? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: