Winter Warmer Red Cabbage Soup (Ve)
This recipe is the perfect combination of fast, nutritious, and tasty. The soup’s beautiful, bold colour is also an added advantage. Winter and soup are such a wholesome match!
It is difficult to consume sufficient levels of Vitamin B12 when on a plant-based diet. Did you know - you can use our capsules in cooking? Perfect for those who find swallowing vitamins difficult or keep forgetting. It does not impact the taste of food and most importantly, the vitamins do not lose their efficacy.
While it is normal to slip from the usual routine and self-control during the holiday season, the body still requires nutrient rich food. That brings us to this nourishing and healthy, vegan red cabbage soup.
This healthy red cabbage soup recipe is a plant-based recipe supplemented with DR.VEGAN Vitamin B12. Vegan diets are often deficient of Vitamin B12, since the vitamin is produced by microorganisms from animal products such as milk, eggs, and meat. So, those who swear by a plant-based diet require alternative sources of this vitamin. Some alternative means to secure B12 include consumption of nutritional yeast, fortified foods, and taking a vegan Vitamin B12 supplement.
Not sure if you're not getting enough Vitamin B12? Click here for 5 signs you may be deficient in B12 written by our team of leading nutritionists.
Red cabbage itself happens to be a nutrition dense vegetable with a mixture of vitamins and minerals. The cabbage contains vitamins C and K and is known for being a low-calorie source of dietary fibres and antioxidants.
If you had no idea red cabbage could be the main ingredient of a nourishing soup, try this recipe! Whether you are vegan or not, this red cabbage soup is a warm and delicious bowl of goodness.
Ingredients (serves 4 portions)
All vegan friendly!
- Red cabbage (medium/large)
- Red onion (1)
- Olive oil (1 tsp)
- Red apple (1)
- Vegetable stock (3 cups)
- Soy milk (2 cups)
- Balsamic vinegar (2 tbsp)
- DR.VEGAN Vitamin B12 (4 capsules)
- Garlic powder (1 tsp)
- Ginger powder (1 tsp)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish: fresh thyme, crème fraiche, spices
1. Chop the onion, cabbage, and red apple into small or medium sized pieces.
2. In a medium sized saucepan, heat up olive oil before adding the onions and the red cabbage. Allow this to cook for 4-5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, chop up some fresh thyme. Add the previously sliced red apple and now chopped thyme into the saucepan along with the seasoning and balsamic vinegar. Cook for a few minutes with occasional stirring.
4. Once the cabbage has softened a bit, add the vegetable stock and soy milk. Allow this to cook on medium heat for another 20 minutes.
5. Transfer the mixture into a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
6. Transfer the soup back into a saucepan on low heat and add the Vitamin B12 capsules. Make sure it is not boiling. Check the soup and add the last seasoning before taking it off heat.
Ready to serve, warm and delicious!
Recipe by @couple_of_chefz www.coupleofchefz.com in proud partnership with DR.VEGAN
Want to hear more from our nutritionists? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: