Fresh from the oven or sprinkled in our protein parfait breakfast recipe, these gooey dark chocolate granola bars are a crowd pleaser every time. In fact, these protein granola bars are a DR.VEGAN team favourite.
Why is this recipe a mood booster and good for you? Dark chocolate is a source of Magnesium, a mineral that helps to moderate our mood by inhibiting the stress hormone cortisol. Dark chocolate also contains Tryptophan which assists the body to produce Serotonin, supporting that feel-good feeling.
This recipe contains sources of Omega 3, due to the high content of nuts & seeds. Omega 3 is responsible for improving and maintaining your brain, heart and eye health. We particularly recommend chia seeds and pumpkin seeds.
We recommend using an 8" X 6" baking dish for 8 portions.
7 tbsp / 1/2 cup peanut butter
5 tbsp / 1/3 cup maple syrup
100ml soya milk (make sure it is fortified with Vitamin D and unsweetened)
1/2 tsp salt
160g oats / 2 cups oats
1 tsp cinnamon
50g chocolate chips
1 tsp coconut oil
Seeds of choice (we recommend pumpkin and chia seeds)
1. Preheat an oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine the peanut butter, maple syrup and soya milk and mix until smooth.
3. Add the oats, cinnamon, salt, 2/3 of the chocolate chips and nuts to the mix and stir until all the dry ingredients are coated with the wet.
4. Grease an oven-proof dish with the coconut oil so the mix doesn’t stick when baked. Press the mixture into the dish and top with the remaining 1/3 of chocolate chips.
5. Bake the dish for 12-18 minutes or until the top turns a golden brown colour.
6. Allow to cool completely before slicing and serving.
7. Enjoy warm or use for your protein parfait.
Want to hear more from our nutritionists? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: