Vegan Shepherd's Pie (Ve)
This hearty, flavoursome black bean and lentil filled shepherd’s pie is a twist on the classic, topped with creamy, fluffy sweet potato. This protein-rich, plant-based dish is incredibly warming and the perfect comfort food for cold autumn evenings.
A great family dinner recipe, vegan friendly for all diets.
If you like this recipe, we think you'll like our Crispy Tortilla Salad Bowl recipe.
- 700g sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 150g mushrooms, sliced
1 medium parsnip, peeled and finely sliced
- 235g black beans tinned, drained and rinsed
- 235g lentils tinned, drained and rinsed
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp non-dairy milk (we've used soy)
- 2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp maple/agave syrup
- 2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- Handful fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- DR.VEGAN Bone & Muscle Support 4 capsules (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- Place the sweet potatoes into a large saucepan and cover with boiling water, leave to simmer for 20-25 minutes until tender. Drain and return to the pot.
- Drizzle some oil into a large pan over medium heat and fry the onions and garlic until the onions have softened about 5 minutes. Stir in the paprika, cumin, and pinch of salt, and sauté for 2-3 minutes before adding the mushrooms and parsnips, stirring well to coat in the spices.
- Add the beans and lentils to the pan, along with the tinned tomatoes, black pepper, maple syrup, and coriander. Stir to combine and let simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the Bone & Muscle Support pills into the mixture.
- Mash the sweet potatoes, adding a splash of oil and non-dairy milk a little bit at a time until smooth texture. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the bean and lentil mixture into a casserole or ovenproof dish and top with the mashed sweet potato. Place in the preheated oven and cook for 25-30 minutes, until it starts to crisp and turn golden brown on the top. Remove from the oven and serve.
Discover our range of vegan vitamins and supplements.
Want to stay connected?
Want to hear more from our nutritionists? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: