Black Bean and Avocado Tacos (Ve)
No matter your diet, this is a crowd pleaser. Any time of year, this is a zingy delight that you can really personalise and make your own.
Ingredients (serves 2)
200g/1 cup brown rice
400g tin of black beans
2 spring onions
2 finely chopped tomatoes (chunks ideally)
Juice of 1 lime
Optional coriander (you either love or hate it!)
1 garlic clove
Small tin of sweetcorn
1/2 a red onion chopped finely
Taco shells or tortilla wraps
Light soy sauce (only 2 tbsp)
Optional grated cheese for topping (vegan cheddar works well)
1. Cook the rice either in a rice cooker or pan with lid using the ratio 1 part rice to 2 parts rice. It should be fluffy when all the water has been absorbed by the rice. Brown rice can take slightly longer than white rice to cook.
2. Flesh out the avocados and mash using a fork until you reach the consistency you like for a guacamole. Optionally you may like to just slice your avocado and use as a topping as we have in the photo.
3. Add the lime juice and tomato chunks. Finely slice the spring onions and add to the avocado mix. Season with salt, pepper and coriander if you like the taste. Mix.
4. In a separate bowl, crumble the tofu and grate in the garlic clove, or finely chop and add.
5. Add 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce and a pinch of pepper.
6. Fry your tofu mix for 5 minutes until it starts to turn golden. Put in a bowl and add in your sweetcorn and raw chopped red onion.
7. Taco time, heat each taco separately on a skillet or frying pan for 20-25 seconds until small brown circles appear.
8. When the rice is ready drain your beans and add those to the rice and stir through. If you're doing a batch place on a plate after and cover with foil to retain the heat.
9. Assemble! In the centre of each taco add your rice and beans, followed by your tofu and sweetcorn, your guac/sliced avocado.
10. Feel free to top further with grated cheese, sour cream or salsa.
If you've enjoyed this recipe we think you'd like Avocado, Beetroot and Pea Shoot Salad
Discover our range of vegan vitamins and supplements.
Want to stay connected?
Want to hear more from our nutritionists? Sign up to our email newsletter for insights and exclusive offers: